AMP Capital Melbourne Fashion Week
Collins Place, Melbourne, Victoria
Period: September 2017
Client: AMP Capital
Subject: Fashion Parade
Collins Place traders have been a part of the annual MSFW for quite a few years with an event onsite in the forecourt adjacent to Collins Street. The format is an evening event with a popup bar, DJ sounds, a feature act and a runway show for three of the brands at Collins Place.
Our Task Was
To better the previous years’ events. The brief was to stage a feature event for retailers at the Paris event of Collins Street involving a ‘hockey stick’ shaped runway, suspended lighting and audio allowing clean visual lines in a high traffic public space. It was critical that movement of the general public was not to be restricted at any point during the build and de-rig, so traffic management was implemented.
Our project manager, Chris King had been involved on previous events which gave us a head start. On this type of event there were many stakeholders to satisfy: building owners, various brand marketing managers, stringent centre management, building engineering consultants, performers and technical crew.
- One of the first challenges was to submit and gain approval to rig from the space frame building structure, so that the lighting rig could be suspended.
- Management of public access and movements during the build, show and de-rig required some pre-planning, which we excelled at.
- We identified the installation of the stage risers would pose an unacceptable potential risk, so this was scheduled to be installed after hours the night before.
- The customised ‘hockey stick’ shape of the stage was replicated above with the lighting rig resulting in even white lighting along the length of the runway.
- Where possible, we selected low energy LED lighting from our extensive inventory to minimise power consumption and the need for additional 3 phase power outlets.
- Selection of audio speaker placement was carefully considered to ensure event coverage for both feature acts and the parade soundtrack.
- Our task included keeping the site clear and rubbish free during our work processes and then removing our rubbish before we left.
On the day of the event, our client, Kathy Knowles exclaimed: ’It’s great when NEXTGEN are involved, I don’t have to worry about it’ . That evening the event ran very smoothly.
- Many return visitors to the event commented on the improved experience and favourable atmosphere, planning to attend at the next event.
- The building owners were ecstatic that our implementation processes resulted in a seamless install, show and de-rig which translated into happier stakeholders.
- Due to our high attention to detail and superior show craft, the fashion brands and feature performers were confident in their execution, receiving long applause and many thanks from the audience.
Feel confident in appointing NEXTGEN for your high profile fashion parade as we have the experience, positive attitude and processes to deliver for you. Please connect with us so we may create something amazing for you.