Docklands Firelight Festival
Melbourne Docklands, Victoria
Period: July 2017
Client: City of Melbourne
Subject: Three Night Festival
Docklands was transformed by a celebration unlike anything Melbourne had ever seen before with an immersive experience across the entire Docklands precinct. Over a weekend, 30,000 people braved the wintry evenings, to be mesmerised by the incredible nightly pyrotechnics, flame jets and fire drums, along with roving performers and eclectic music. The firelight installations, live performance and music components were complimented by fine food and wine producers from Victoria.
Our Task Was
Working with various stakeholders, NEXTGEN were tasked with the audio, staging and lighting components for the various features distributed across the performance site. NEXTGEN were selected based on extensive experience regarding outdoor community based events and adherence to safety and occupational standards.
Working closely with the event management company, the creative director, artists and safety officials, NEXTGEN were involved in the design and implementation of performance areas that required lighting and audio whilst taking into account the pyro, flame and fire components of the event. The experienced team gathered their knowledge and processes to deliver a successful event.
- A distributed audio system was installed along the Docklands promenade to ensure the mood soundtrack enticed the large crowds to set the scene of activity later on.
- At Hells Kitchen, NEXTGEN installed a band PA and lighting rig for the rolling lineup of bands entertaining the crowds.
- The Main Stage required it’s own local audio system with concise lighting to ensure the performers and MC were effective.
- The culmination of the festival was the ritual burning of the wooden effigies positioned on a pontoon off New Quay. Safety considerations were paramount for the spectacular finale where the artists created the drama of a theatrical and warm celebration of winter solstice.
- NEXTGEN installed a powerful lighting rig for the pontoon to ensure the climax effigy burn was effective and spectacular using haze, smoke, coloured lighting beams as well as heightened audio soundtrack to make the audience gasp.
The City of Melbourne team and our event manager client praised the high quality of NEXTGEN’s expertise and delivery.
- The successful delivery of the event was important to City of Melbourne as large crowds were drawn to Docklands over the quiet winter trading period.
- The press reviews of the event were positive, highlighting the spectacular effigy burn experience.
- The leader of the NEXTGEN team, Guy McGregor was singled out as successfully staging this outdoor event.
The friendly team at NEXTGEN has the experience, track record and know-how to successfully delivery community events outdoors.
We look forward to creating an event experience that is more than was expected using the latest technologies, so please do not hesitate to begin the conversation.